Palais des Nations 1211 Geneva Switzerland
The thematic focus of the 2018 Conference will be “Public private partnerships for the implementation of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development”. Both the Joint Inspection Unit of the United Nations system (JIU) and World Association for Sustainable Development (WASD) are inspired by the conviction that the 2030 Agenda and its 17 goals provides momentum for a renewed UN engagement with the private sector.
The expected results of the Conference include:
- a better understanding of the evolving nature of existing and emerging partnerships and provide the United Nations system and its Member States with valuable information regarding good practices innovative approaches, lessons learned in engaging private sector;
- an assessment of the fitness for purpose of existing models of multi-stakeholders partnerships arrangements involving the private sector, as means to leverage resources and concerted efforts towards the implementation of the Sustainable Development Goals;
- a critical examination of current policies, administrative set ups, frameworks and structures and of their potential to stimulate and valorise the partnerships with the private sector;
- the identification of good practices and opportunities to enhance coherence, synergies and coordination in building United Nations/ public partnerships with the private sector and to build bridges of common interest, values and mutual understanding;
- an exploration of new ways to enhance the inter-operability between the United Nations organizations and the enterprises and to improve conceptual, operational and administrative elements of the partnership framework, based on knowledge common platform;
- the stimulation of new forms of interaction dialogue and partnership between the UN system, the private companies and the academia in service of the Sustainable Development Goals.